Saturday, May 19, 2007

Missed Connections

Had a nice little walk today. Nothing as long as Sunday's exploits, but still pretty nice, about three and a half miles. And at least when I was done I didn't collapse in a sweaty pile on the bed, and I don't anticipate my legs hurting for the next two days either, so it's win-win.

I just kind of started walking south from work instead of taking the subway back home. I didn't really know where I was going, but that's how someone should explore -- completely lost. I ended up strolling through the West Village and Tribeca, then turning around just before I got to Ground Zero and walking north along the edge of Chinatown and Little Italy, through "Noho" (I've literally never heard that term before) and back to Union Square, to take the subway back up north.

In retrospect, I probably should have looked at a map at some point; I really would have liked to have seen the World Trade Center area, and had I known I was so close to Chinatown and Little Italy I would have made it a point to check them out. Oh well, I guess I'll know where they are next time.

I think this weekend I'm going to make it a point to do some subway exploring. I bought a 30-day pass today, so it'll be essentially free.

Anyway, tomorrow marks my first full week in the city, and I have to say so far so good.

No comments: