Monday, July 9, 2007

A Storm of Swords


It's been a good summer for reading. As previously blogged, I've been working through the A Song of Ice and Fire series, and I started the third book, A Storm of Swords about three weeks ago. Well I finished it last night, so I figured I'd write about it.

A Storm of Swords is the best book so far in the series, and probably one of the top five books I've ever read (if not, easily top ten). In 1,100 pages it includes dozens of unique and memorable characters, at least ten separate storylines, and more betrayal, sudden twists and gut-wrenching emotion than a fantasy book has any right to be.

And moreso than its prequels, it is a fantasy book. At first I liked that the series wasn't what you would consider "normal" fantasy (i.e., elves, dwarves, magick). But in Storm, Martin subtly sneaks in those familiar fantastic elements that you hate to admit you love; there are still no elves, but there is sorcery, the undead, and even mythical beasts riding other mythical beasts. And there's a dwarf, but he's no Gimli.

As soon as I turned the last page, I knew I would have to start on the fourth book, A Feast for Crows as soon as possible. So I did.

So far I've got a few misgivings about the latest installment, but I'll keep my mouth shut about them until I'm done with the book. If all goes as planned, I'll finish it before Deathly Hallows comes out in a couple weeks. And then what should I read? Suggestions?

No comments: